The answer is NO.
The “fact” that junk food is cheaper than real food has become a reflexive part of how we explain why so many Americans are overweight, particularly those with lower incomes. I frequently read confident statements like, “when a bag of chips is cheaper than a head of broccoli …” or “it’s more affordable to feed a family of four at McDonald’s than to cook a healthy meal for them at home.”
this bullshit fills me with a very specific kind of rage. so, TIME TO DEBUNK!
- that meal from mcdonalds takes virtually no time to acquire AND is available almost anywhere.
- the second meal? that “salad” is lettuce … with nothing else, not even dressing unless its just olive oil or some milk i guess? gross.
- also thats the price of each serving, not an entire loaf of bread, a bottle of olive oil, etc. that stuff adds up which means you have to have a lot of money at one time to buy it all.
- that meal probably took an hour and a half to make, which is a long fucking time when you work multiple jobs or are caring for a lot of people or dont have help! seriously, if you are a single parent of three who works, is spending an hour and a half every night preparing a meal a likely option?
- same with beans and rice! also, you know whats a fucking bummer? eating beans and rice every night because you are poor. ask any person who has done it and they will tell you (you can start with me).
- there is a “nutrition” argument here that lacks a follow up: poor people are more likely to be doing physical labor and need more than 571 calories per meal.
- you know who is less likely to know how to bake or prepare a chicken? people without access to the internet, or libraries, or who werent taught how to by their parents because their parents worked all the time. access to healthy foods is a classist issue and classism is cyclical, you fucking morons.
- seriously, these sorts of infographics make me want to fucking flip tables. do you know why people don’t eat more fresh fruits and vegetables? because fresh fruits and vegetables are expensive, because they take a long time to prepare, because they dont live near a grocery store that has a decent produce section, because they dont have reliable transportation to get groceries to and from the grocery store, because they dont have the energy to plan all of the shit that is involved in making healthy, intentional, filling, balanced meals. basically: poor people get fucked, and then we get BLAMED for being lazy.
- eating “healthy”, aka access to fresh fruits and vegetables, is a privilege, first, foremost, always. so fuck you new york times and your ignorant goddamn infographic.
- there are SYSTEMATIC REASONS that we do not have equal access to fresh fruits and vegetables. they are very REAL problems. besides, you know, systematic poverty in america, the total mis-distribution of farm subsidies is a perfect place to start. read about that, then either get bent or start working on the actual problem.
YES YES YES YES YES
I am so fucking tired of seeing these misleading as fuck infographics about how “healthy eating is cheap!” No. No it is fucking not.
AND where the FUCK are you getting your food that salt and pepper are 5 cents?!??! or bacon for $1.85? or a CUP of oil for 55 cents? FOUR pieces of bread for 75 cents? 3 cups for rice for 50 cents?
this stuff just doesn’t make sense, is extremely shaming, and is extremely misleading.
Yep! Im a vegetarian, but I’m hungry all the damn time because of food prices.
- lokis-actual-butt reblogged this from rhazade-waterbender and added:
- angelikah likes this
- jumpguy36 likes this
- dangerousdads likes this
- aegyo-illa reblogged this from alithea
- ax-jack likes this
- kamilaahh reblogged this from alithea
- olielihe likes this
- hamelet reblogged this from mypartyof1
- nurserenard likes this
- ask-farmworld-finn reblogged this from mypartyof1
- ask-farmworld-finn likes this
- mypartyof1 likes this
- jessicadecibels reblogged this from spiralingoutwards
- the-freckled-runner reblogged this from ironfries
- anoblerend likes this
- liz-kahlifa likes this
- michellaellaeh reblogged this from malcolmjamalwarlock
- ethicalaspiration reblogged this from awkwardmountaingoat
- ethicalaspiration likes this
- awkwardmountaingoat reblogged this from alithea
- lightningcrocodile likes this
- lightningcrocodile reblogged this from gettinghufflebuff
- gettinghufflebuff reblogged this from wonderlandismymind
- mailpouch likes this
- cardigansandbowties likes this
- ttwilightwolf likes this
- thesmoothoperator reblogged this from ayodj
- welcoming-disaster likes this
- miinnzz reblogged this from ayodj
- pleasurre likes this
- ayodj reblogged this from artofseductionlxix
- lostquaintrelle reblogged this from jas720
- fearezen likes this
- prealekrouz likes this
- fictionheh reblogged this from jas720
- kidsimba likes this
- beautyofthesun reblogged this from azulaphoenixqueen
- azulaphoenixqueen reblogged this from rozhanitsa
- azulaphoenixqueen likes this
- rozhanitsa reblogged this from artofseductionlxix
- drcp likes this
- mydamnblogposts reblogged this from femibot
- femibot reblogged this from sway33
- illnomics likes this
- sway33 reblogged this from hailthesunqueen
- tralalalaaa reblogged this from epicwumbology
- shadowflare reblogged this from jwanwan