The answer is NO.
The “fact” that junk food is cheaper than real food has become a reflexive part of how we explain why so many Americans are overweight, particularly those with lower incomes. I frequently read confident statements like, “when a bag of chips is cheaper than a head of broccoli …” or “it’s more affordable to feed a family of four at McDonald’s than to cook a healthy meal for them at home.”
this bullshit fills me with a very specific kind of rage. so, TIME TO DEBUNK!
- that meal from mcdonalds takes virtually no time to acquire AND is available almost anywhere.
- the second meal? that “salad” is lettuce … with nothing else, not even dressing unless its just olive oil or some milk i guess? gross.
- also thats the price of each serving, not an entire loaf of bread, a bottle of olive oil, etc. that stuff adds up which means you have to have a lot of money at one time to buy it all.
- that meal probably took an hour and a half to make, which is a long fucking time when you work multiple jobs or are caring for a lot of people or dont have help! seriously, if you are a single parent of three who works, is spending an hour and a half every night preparing a meal a likely option?
- same with beans and rice! also, you know whats a fucking bummer? eating beans and rice every night because you are poor. ask any person who has done it and they will tell you (you can start with me).
- there is a “nutrition” argument here that lacks a follow up: poor people are more likely to be doing physical labor and need more than 571 calories per meal.
- you know who is less likely to know how to bake or prepare a chicken? people without access to the internet, or libraries, or who werent taught how to by their parents because their parents worked all the time. access to healthy foods is a classist issue and classism is cyclical, you fucking morons.
- seriously, these sorts of infographics make me want to fucking flip tables. do you know why people don’t eat more fresh fruits and vegetables? because fresh fruits and vegetables are expensive, because they take a long time to prepare, because they dont live near a grocery store that has a decent produce section, because they dont have reliable transportation to get groceries to and from the grocery store, because they dont have the energy to plan all of the shit that is involved in making healthy, intentional, filling, balanced meals. basically: poor people get fucked, and then we get BLAMED for being lazy.
- eating “healthy”, aka access to fresh fruits and vegetables, is a privilege, first, foremost, always. so fuck you new york times and your ignorant goddamn infographic.
- there are SYSTEMATIC REASONS that we do not have equal access to fresh fruits and vegetables. they are very REAL problems. besides, you know, systematic poverty in america, the total mis-distribution of farm subsidies is a perfect place to start. read about that, then either get bent or start working on the actual problem.
YES YES YES YES YES
I am so fucking tired of seeing these misleading as fuck infographics about how “healthy eating is cheap!” No. No it is fucking not.
AND where the FUCK are you getting your food that salt and pepper are 5 cents?!??! or bacon for $1.85? or a CUP of oil for 55 cents? FOUR pieces of bread for 75 cents? 3 cups for rice for 50 cents?
this stuff just doesn’t make sense, is extremely shaming, and is extremely misleading.
Yep! Im a vegetarian, but I’m hungry all the damn time because of food prices.
- whatisapoemcee reblogged this from msnewjudi
- neogenesis85 reblogged this from shadesoffantasy
- incandescens likes this
- anjhuzen reblogged this from belleandwhistle
- slytherynn reblogged this from belleandwhistle and added:
- belleandwhistle reblogged this from wingedbeastieanji
- liz-of-all-ladybirds likes this
- wingedbeastieanji reblogged this from gadaboutgreen
- im-not-your-tiger reblogged this from shadesoffantasy
- karnsteins reblogged this from actualhumanallisonargent
- actualhumanallisonargent reblogged this from shadesoffantasy
- teacakesandroses likes this
- cearbhal likes this
- msnewjudi likes this
- msnewjudi reblogged this from gadaboutgreen
- halizanderthegreat reblogged this from shadesoffantasy
- gadaboutgreen reblogged this from shadesoffantasy
- gadaboutgreen likes this
- sailorsylvie reblogged this from shadesoffantasy
- malewarcock likes this
- shadesoffantasy reblogged this from boldaswellas-strong
- onepersonarmy reblogged this from shmem-the-pem
- outcastsecrets likes this
- nycdykemarch likes this
- alzire likes this
- currentlyonfire likes this
- mrcoffeecake reblogged this from ninja-turtle-sawg
- ninja-turtle-sawg likes this
- ninja-turtle-sawg reblogged this from agoddamn
- the-perks-of-being--miranda reblogged this from summersinthesky
- gunpowderxvalentine reblogged this from super-brother
- djairsurfer reblogged this from princess-stabbity
- narcissedespoetes reblogged this from ladythorn
- princess-stabbity reblogged this from the-sicknessxd
- princess-stabbity likes this
- notquitehowishouldbe likes this
- alizerasong reblogged this from reyairia and added:
- agent-merlot reblogged this from lifeisacollage40 and added:
- justanotheraccount11 likes this
- suicunedude reblogged this from xbiocorex
- lifeisacollage40 reblogged this from cme-alenko and added:
- seansalad reblogged this from occasionalhuman
- ssvgeorgewashingtoncrew likes this
- captain-solo reblogged this from chocolateraine and added:
- bleeners likes this
- chienbleufrancais reblogged this from f-frenchie
- f-frenchie reblogged this from summersinthesky
- a-trifle-silenced-mind reblogged this from occasionalhuman
- refujio likes this
- theramen reblogged this from cme-alenko