Protest Sharon Needles’ Racist Actions - Wednesday (6/27) @ Jungle Club Atlanta
Sharon Needles has some shit she needs to work on. For receipts, see grrylman’s post here.
And lucky for us, she’ll be at the Jungle Club in Atlanta, Georgia this Wednesday (6/27). Let’s all get together for a lovely time of protest and dissent over the ridiculous racist behavior of Sharon Needles.
Our plan is to assemble outside of the Jungle with signs, badges, and other militant items of fabulousness.
We will then join the line and move through informing people of Sharon’s racist statements and actions. Keep it peaceful, keep it simple, keep it classy.
Some of the attendees are going to be very angry with us. We have to know this before going. This demonstration is not violent, and we are asking that all demonstrators please refrain from engaging with anyone who wants to argue. We’re only demonstrating to speak the truth.
In other words: if someone tries to throw shade your way you just do you gurl.
When we’re done, we’ll move over to The Heretic for .25 cent beer night. Protest will start promptly at 9:00pm and go until 10:00pm.
Invite your friends!
Seriously?! SERIOUSLY?! This is what you fucking choose to do with your time? What a waste, protesting her show isnt going to change shit. She is SHARON MOTHERFUCKING NEEDLES who will do whatever the fuck she wants. She is a drag queen and typically they dont give a fuck what everyone else thinks, this is true for Sharon. Go spend your time protesting something else like Mitt Romney or something that will actually matter. Who gives a fuck if she makes a few off color racial comments? Seriously, fuck off.
The bolded commentary is from http://harrypotterisg0d.tumblr.com/, aka Matt.
I’m reblogging this, not because Matt’s commentary is particularly mean spirited or out of the ordinary. On the contrary, it perfectly demonstrates the standard reaction that queers of color get when we dare to speak up about our experiences with(in) white gay-queer community.
You see, identical to white straight culture, white gay-queer culture believes that it’s a waste of time to work against racism at all levels. That the “few off-color racial comments” made by folks, especially drag queens, are in no way comparable to the vitriolic statements and policies espoused by politicians, like Mitt Romney. I mean, really, we should find better ways of spending our time because pointing out these actions and how contradictory they are to liberation won’t change a thing. Why don’t we just fuck off?
You see, what these basic motherfuckers don’t seem to understand is that a large portion of the violence and abuse committed against queer communities of color begins with a few off-color racial comments. That politicians make a few-off color racial comments every day that lead to legislation and policies that further stigmatizes communities of color and cuts us off from vital resources necessary to our survival.
That police make a few off color racial comments when they chase us, beat us, frame us, lock us up, and kill us.
That teachers make a few off-color racial comments when they treat us like prisoners instead of students. When they attribute our educational difficulties and accomplishments negatively to our race, versus a lack of support and over disciplining or hard work.
That the bartenders in your favorite gay bars make a few off-color racial comments when they serve everyone but us making up some bullshit excuse about it being so busy that they can’t see us standing right in front of their asses.
I can keep going, but I think you get the point. They’re not off-color and their not a few. They’re racist and neverending. They’re the countless microaggressions committed against people of color daily. They’re the biases that maintain systems of white supremacy and privilege that put politicians like Mitt Romney in power and allow them to say the most vitriolic racist bullshit with no consequence. They’re the beginnings of the KKK and the last words black and brown bodies hear before our lives are ended way too fucking soon.
So no, we won’t fuck off, but you can kick rocks in open toed shoes.
Take your basic ass and your basic understanding of drag culture and sit all the way fucking down because I am not the one.
GURL I’M CRYING
and for once today it’s with love.
I love you so much, Cortez. I’m so proud that I get to struggle with you.
- dacosmiccheese likes this
- dacosmiccheese reblogged this from aubbledumpling
- aubbledumpling reblogged this from ladypandacat
- xladygrinningsoulx reblogged this from ladypandacat
- sasspantss likes this
- tristamann likes this
- aninmatestartstocry likes this
- wildcatforever123 reblogged this from ladypandacat and added:
- wildcatforever123 likes this
- casseus likes this
- rosalieanetta reblogged this from ladypandacat
- brown-eyedblunder reblogged this from obviously-theducktor-loki
- obviously-theducktor-loki reblogged this from ladypandacat
- khatiemay reblogged this from ladypandacat
- lethal-brownie likes this
- totallytubulaer likes this
- secret-diary-of-a-fit-girl likes this
- maimaimaiii likes this
- ladypandacat reblogged this from glitterlion
- lammy-q likes this
- disenchantedmemories reblogged this from glitterlion and added:
- simplekindoflife likes this
- monochrome-skittles likes this
- blackmagicalgirlmisandry reblogged this from violentqueers
- butchnorfemme reblogged this from glitterlion
- endarkenment likes this
- saysoju likes this
- liza-dyan reblogged this from glitterlion
- tendergluttons likes this
- im-calling-checkmate reblogged this from eye-disappeared
- meowsandmusicnotes reblogged this from iateglitterforbreakfast
- theurbanrebellion reblogged this from howtobeafuckinglady
- immagiveyousass reblogged this from iateglitterforbreakfast
- immagiveyousass likes this
- laughing-at-nothing reblogged this from iateglitterforbreakfast
- pennilessvagabond reblogged this from howtobeafuckinglady
- hairypitsandtits likes this
- so-not-the-norm likes this
- ifyouaretobloom reblogged this from womanistgamergirl
- nocticola likes this
- fushigikid likes this
- tablemold reblogged this from garconniere
- cunninguseofflags reblogged this from crystalsavestheday
- lizziemcmizzie likes this
- wolfandbutler likes this
- crystalsavestheday reblogged this from youarenotyou
- elluithauren likes this
- binxbolling likes this
- xsauc reblogged this from digitalcorpse and added: