25 Things To Do Before You Turn 25
1. Make peace with your parents. Whether you finally recognize that they actually have your best interests in mind or you forgive them for being flawed human beings, you can’t happily enter adulthood with that familial brand of resentment.
2. Kiss someone you think is out of your league; kiss models and med students and entrepreneurs with part-time lives in Dubai and don’t worry about if they’re going to call you afterward.
3. Minimize your passivity.
4. Work a service job to gain some understanding of how tipping works, how to keep your cool around assholes, how a few kind words can change someone’s day.
5. Recognize freedom as a 5:30 a.m. trip to the diner with a bunch of strangers you’ve just met.
6. Try not to beat yourself up over having obtained a ‘useless’ Bachelor’s Degree. Debt is hell, and things didn’t pan out quite like you expected, but you did get to go to college, and having a degree isn’t the worst thing in the world to have. We will figure this mess out, I think, probably; the point is you’re not worth less just because there hasn’t been an immediate pay off for going to school. Be patient, work with what you have, and remember that a lot of us are in this together.
7. If you’re employed in any capacity, open a savings account. You never know when you might be unemployed or in desperate need of getting away for a few days. Even $10 a week is $520 more a year than you would’ve had otherwise.
8. Make a habit of going outside, enjoying the light, relearning your friends, forgetting the internet.
9. Go on a 4-day, brunch-fueled bender.
10. Start a relationship with your crush by telling them that you want them. Directly. Like, look them in the face and say it to them. Say, I want you. I want to be with you.
11. Learn to say ‘no’ — to yourself. Don’t keep wearing high heels if you hate them; don’t keep smoking if you’re disgusted by the way you smell the morning after; stop wasting entire days on your couch if you’re going to complain about missing the sun.
12. Take time to revisit the places that made you who you are: the apartment you grew up in, your middle school, your hometown. These places may or may not be here forever; you definitely won’t be.
13. Find a hobby that makes being alone feel lovely and empowering and like something to look forward to.
14. Think you know yourself until you meet someone better than you.
15. Forget who you are, what your priorities are, and how a person should be.
16. Identify your fears and instead of letting them dictate your every move, find and talk to people who have overcome them. Don’t settle for experiencing .000002% of what the world has to offer because you’re afraid of getting on a plane.
17. Make a habit of cleaning up and letting go. Just because it fit at one point doesn’t mean you need to keep it forever — whether ‘it’ is your favorite pair of pants or your ex.
18. Stop hating yourself.
19. Go out and watch that movie, read that book, listen to that band you already lied about watching, reading, listening to.
20. Take advantage of health insurance while you have it.
21. Make a habit of telling people how you feel, whether it means writing a gushing fan-girl email to someone whose work you love or telling your boss why you deserve a raise.
22. Date someone who says, “I love you” first.
23. Leave the country under the premise of “finding yourself.” This will be unsuccessful. Places do not change people. Instead, do a lot of solo drinking, read a lot of books, have sex in dirty hostels, and come home when you start to miss it.
24. Suck it up and buy a Macbook Pro.
25. Quit that job that’s making you miserable, end the relationship that makes you act like a lunatic, lose the friend whose sole purpose in life is making you feel like you’re perpetually on the verge of vomiting. You’re young, you’re resilient, there are other jobs and relationships and friends if you’re patient and open.
January Nelson, 06/25/12, http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/25-things-to-do-before-you-turn-25/ (via lydiamichelle)
The privilege in this post makes me want to vomit. Yea, you should totally get a service job so you can learn humility.
And on a more serious note, some of us have parents who are abusers. Some of us have parents who are prohibited from coming into contact with children. When you make generalizations based on your privileged life, you’re not saying anything new. You’re right; we weren’t able to “happily enter adulthood” because we had to enter adulthood dealing with ptsd and internalized self-hate and abuse. But yea, do you, you fucks.
- juliarose15 reblogged this from facesandmiscellaneous
- snowkingcas reblogged this from sunnystrong
- facesandmiscellaneous reblogged this from imgonnamakeachange
- paper-lullabies reblogged this from feelsforthewheels
- kay--gee--bee likes this
- staple82gether reblogged this from fuckyeamemories
- shadesofivory reblogged this from cconliff
- color-the-moon likes this
- w-onnderland likes this
- thevastpossibilities reblogged this from sawmestarttobelieve
- c0rey-a likes this
- days-likethis reblogged this from ohmywideeyedgaze
- imcutelyterrible likes this
- theperfect-imperfection likes this
- fuckyeamemories reblogged this from ohmywideeyedgaze
- dontcryitsonlymike likes this
- an-entanglement-of-paradox reblogged this from ohmywideeyedgaze
- feelsforthewheels reblogged this from sherry-blossom
- rrebeldauntless likes this
- joshlewandowski likes this
- findmesomewhereovertherainbow reblogged this from ohmywideeyedgaze
- bloomingloveflower likes this
- jr-enrique reblogged this from whalesnest
- jr-enrique likes this
- cake-facee reblogged this from l-umos
- needsyouthisway likes this
- minutenschlaf likes this
- sawmestarttobelieve reblogged this from ohmywideeyedgaze
- imhappyfreeconfusedandlonely likes this
- narellereference reblogged this from batmans-tribble
- e-choedthroughmymind likes this
- strangerinanallnightdiner likes this
- heyitskathleen likes this
- i-like-yo-boobies reblogged this from adventuresinarealworld
- hella-tru reblogged this from ultrannoyed
- canyoudothehippogriff reblogged this from scamjesus
- ohmywideeyedgaze reblogged this from butwemadequiteamessbabe
- spoilaroids likes this
- sohowshouldipresume likes this
- littleredhatter likes this
- batmans-tribble reblogged this from socialjusticeleaguepodcast
- actually-sondering likes this
- jezuspiece reblogged this from josesitooo
- jezuspiece likes this
- minigiraffe likes this
- josesitooo reblogged this from tipodeque
- milowendell reblogged this from georgiaburnz
- msha-3l likes this
- priscilaanahi likes this
- laughingsnowflake reblogged this from run-like-an-animal